Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Chickadees

Chickadees

My dad loved to watch birds and he would often point them out to me when I was a little girl. He taught us to watch, listen and be on the lookout for these feathery beauties. Through the years this interest has only grown and I find that I am passing it onto my boys who are as delighted as I am to watch these feathery delights.

There are so many too...common redpolls, red breasted nuthatch, waxwings, plovers, bald eagles, stellar jays, warbler, thrush...chickadee

The chickadee has become more beautiful to me over the past few years. Staying at home to raise our very busy boys I have often walked to the window to look outdoors. The chickadees are constant companions. They flit gracefully through the air often to land in the spruce tree in our front yard. Its branches reach a few feet from our upstairs windows and give us intimate view of these dainty birds.

Over a year ago I bought a bird feeder that attaches with suction cups to your window. Now we can watch with suppressed delight as they land in the feeder quickly selecting their favorite seed before darting up into the branches of the spruce.

Perhaps what I love is that they are here all year long. Winters are cold and so very long here in Anchorage...and yet these tiny little birds are here. I can hear them land on the feeder throughout the day and their sweet sounds drifting along the crisp winter air or even in the soft dewy mornings of spring. They are obviously graceful yet they possess a quiet strength that carries them through the extreme Alaskan winters and this inspires me.

So when I decided to keep a blog to compile many of my interests and joys, I named it "Simply Chickadees," because that is how I would like to live: strong, graceful and with an ease that surpasses the odds that would face me and maybe just maybe pass along a little bit of joy and delight.

No comments:

Post a Comment