Thursday, December 26, 2013

Make Your Own Toothpaste

I find joy in making my own bath and beauty products. I have made toothpaste in the past in a powder form and I liked it fine, but when I came across a recipe for a creamy natural toothpaste I had to try it!

There are only 4 ingredients: (You will also need a container. I have this beautiful little blue jar a friend gave me, but I would love to put it in a tube like the author did.)

Here is the lineup of ingredients:

Coconut Oil, Baking Soda, Stevia, Peppermint Essential Oil

Mix your ingredients in a clean container.

A fork worked fine to mix it up.

My alterations to the recipe:

*Since I used Young Living Peppermint e.o. I only added 7 drops* I also had only a small jar of stevia extract so I used 1/8 tsp. You can adjust that amount to your taste.

The texture is great. My 6 year old loved the smell and wanted to try it. So we both went in and brushed our teeth. It reminds me of Arm & Hammer baking soda toothpaste, but not as sweet (I don't like really sweet toothpaste). It has a light peppermint flavor and leaves your mouth feeling clean.

Here is the recipe at: Tammy's Recipes

I wonder how it would be to add a little of clove to this since clove is known for gum health...I may have to make another batch. Let me know if you try it. :)

1 comment: