Saturday, November 9, 2013

Spinach Garlic Cheddar Bread

I love baking. I especially love baking bread. As a teenager I walked to and from school. I loved the days when I would come home and smell the scent of bread dough. My mom would make pizza and cinnamon rolls. It was a special treat for us.

Bread makes me happy.

I bought a big package of spinach the other day and I have been thinking of all the ways to use it. So as I made bread yesterday I thought I might try adding some spinach to a loaf to see how it turned out.

 

Prepare your favorite bread dough recipe. You will add the following ingredients before you leave it to rise the first time.

I started with a generous handful of baby spinach, 4 cloves of garlic, 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, and a drizzle of olive oil. (Olive oil is optional but it helped give it a smooth chop)

 

I added the spinach, garlic and a drizzle of olive oil to my food chopper. (You could use your food processor or your chefs knife and finely chop)

 

This is what it looked like when I finished.

Grated cheddar...yummy!

Setting aside a small handful of cheddar I added the rest of the ingredients to my bread dough and used the bread hook to mix it in. Then cover and let it raise.

Shape it into a long football and place in prepared pan. (Cover and let double in size)

Preheat oven 350

Put in the oven bake about 20 minutes.

 

Add the rest of your cheese. Bake for another 10-15 minutes.

 

Delicious fluffy cheesy bread.

 

The bread was a hit around here with our spaghetti dinner. I could have added another clove of garlic and more cheese inside the bread, but it depends on how much you like cheese and garlic. The cheese melted to the crust gave it a crispy flavor that I personally enjoy.

It would be good with tomato soup.

2 comments: