Friday, November 15, 2013

Caramels

I enjoy caramel and have often thought it would be fun one winter to make some...Winter has officially arrived complete with snow so I decided it was time. Since I know very little about making candy I looked up a recipe online. This is the one I used at Allrecipes.com.


All wrapped and in a jar. Yummy.

Here is the process after you let it cook for a very long time (about 45 min). Luckily for me my Mother in-law is visiting so we chatted and drank tea while I stirred the caramel.

I followed the recipe with only one alteration. I used dark corn syrup. I did this per another reviewers instructions and my results were great.

Also a meat thermometer will not work if you have lost your candy thermometer when you used it a long time ago to make candles. It especially won't work after you drop it in caramel a few times. Ugh. So either get one or you can use the cold water method of dropping a tsp of caramel into cold water. When you take it out of the water and it holds it's shape then it is ready to pour in your pan. I used this method.

 

Then you let it cool. I set my pan on our porch to speed the process up. I then tried to cut even rows. My husband who is a carpenter appreciated this. :)

Then if you are feeling generous you share some with your family while they are enjoying a game of monopoly. Then if your caramels are a big hit you share some more. If your children are like mine they will give you the sweet Bambi eyes complete with fluttering eyelashes and pilfer some more :)

Here I am experimenting with how I will wrap them in wax paper.

 



Seems fairly easy, fold, fold, twist, twist.

 

Cute.

I found these little tins at Michael's on clearance a few months ago. Perfect for caramels.

By 1/4 of the way into wrapping the caramels I changed my technique. I ended up rolling them in the wax paper and twisting the ends. It seemed to go much faster that way.

 

 

Side note- I Love the yellow bird cage candle holder behind the caramels. I found it on clearance at Fred Meyer.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment